7/22/2007

France vs. Germany = beauty vs. war?


Long time - no see. I have been travelling the past 3 weeks and thus had no time to be in here...but here I am again. Last week I went to Berlin, I wanted to see the city again 10 years later, and also visit the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibition of the 19th-century masterpieces of the French artists (including my favourite - Claude Monet, see picture) that is currently on display at the new national gallery in Berlin (http://www.metinberlin.org/en/home/). The exhibition is called "the most beautiful Frenchmen come from New York". This got me thinking on war and disagreement between Germany and France. A couple of decades ago this exhibition would probably not be in Berlin. Since I also spent a lot of time in the jewish museum in Berlin, which by the way is one of the best museums I have ever visited, I thought a lot on the WWII. I couldn't help but thinking that when you think about Germans in Paris it is about war, and now when you think on Frenchmen in Berlin it is about beauty and art.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hey Marie, Yavor and me were just talking about you today and asked ourselves where you might be...CH, Sweden, anywhere else? Keep us updated! Sue

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.